PCC Minutes – 11 January 2017

MINUTES OF THE WERRINGTON PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL
Held on Wednesday 11th January 2017 at 7.30pm in St John’s Church
PRESENT

Rev Sue Fear (leading prayers), Frank Smith, Brian Hunt, Sue Burgess, Michael Horspole, Phyll Adams, Sue Bennett, Sheila Breeze, Helen Tabor, Newton Kibiringi, Dennis Crouch, Robert Gregory Smith, Lawrence Wright. Angela Cooper, Jane Armstrong, Stephen Bateman and Rev George Rogers (Chair)

APOLOGIES

Debra Graham and Paul Cussell

MINUTES

The Minutes of the meetings held on 11th January 2017 were agreed as a true and correct record with an amendment to date on minutes of 10th instead of 11th and change of Michelle to Michele

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

A – William Law Lease – a copy of the Licence to occupy and the letter of comfort had been received from Hunt and Coombs. We needed to look at the points and answers given to us by Helen Buckley – solicitor for the PDBE.

B – Love Werrington Update – Honorarium of £500 had been agreed by LW committee out of their funds to pay Michele Hunt for extra work done prior to December 1st 2016. PCC noted the appointment of Holly Smith for 15 hours a week (managed by Michele Hunt) and Jan Lowe for 15 hours a week (managed by Sue Fear). There was a LW training evening soon for volunteers led by Charlie Nobbs.

C – .Health and Safety Issues – Dennis reported all gravestones had been tested and warning labels affixed to two of them. There was an electrical inspection of the church on Monday 16th January to remedy faults from the 2014 inspection. The Way In had a Fire Safety check.

D – Safeguarding – Sue Bennett reported we had now adopted the Diocesan Policy.

There was a need to check driving licences with volunteer drivers and also to assess whether physical help is required when volunteer drivers transport vulnerable passengers.

There was also a need to assess the capacity of the Way In for Fire regulations. Sue Bennett would meet with Michele Hunt and Jan Lowe to discuss the issues.

E – Sharing Chalice at Communion – Keri Morrow who was a training ordinand would present a paper on this at the next PCC meeting.

F – Stephen Forster – had told us that owing to Government changes The Head teacher of William Law could not be a member of the William Law Academy board. She would be replaced by Miranda Robinson Diocesan Director of Education or her representative.
PCC agreed to the name of Eugene Renehan to go forward as Parent Foundation Governor at William Law.

It was also reported that our church employees had until February if they wish to enrol in the pension scheme. This would cost the church an extra 4%.

FINANCE REPORT

Michael Horspole presented the financial report to the end of December 2016. This showed a loss of £6559. Bankers orders were up as a result of one off gifts. Envelopes were up £8000 mainly as a result of one off gifts also.

In 2017 we faced a £41,000 deficit on the current account. However as a result of previous years appeals we would use some of the reserves to fund this. However by doing this it would mean our reserves would go down to only £26,000 by December 2017 if no further increase in income was forthcoming. This was a low level to sustain ongoing work and possible church building repairs. The 2017 budget would be discussed at the Finance Committee meeting.

Love Werrington Accounts – LW had a £36,000 budget till April 2017 but had only spent £22,000 so far

MINISTERS’/YOUTH WORKER REPORTS

Discovery Group – paper received from the group outlining their activities over the years and they now wish to disband as many of their objectives had been fulfilled. Proposed by Sue Burgess and seconded by Steve Bateman that ‘ PCC acknowledges activity and recommendations of the group and agrees to wind down the Discovery Group with thanks for all their work’ All PCC agreed

Youth Worker – Newton reported on the Internship training and the forthcoming honours night on 27th January. He had nine young people going to Letton Hall with Crops at half term. He was exploring the timing of the Tuesday Link meeting and possibly move the time to 3.30 and concentrate on the AMVC catchments area.

Sue Fear – reported on her links with the Junior schools and the work of Messy Church and Splash .
George Rogers- Proposed Joint Easter Day service at 10.30 at Emmanuel. PCC agreed we should consult the congregations and make a final decision at the March PCC meeting.

Village Centre – reported that a meeting with City Council, Community Association and Church would be held shortly. The condition survey of the centre had indicated the £192,500 worth of repairs/ renewals were needed to put the centre in good working condition again. This was due to be rectified by the city council under the terms of the lease. PCC agreed a working party of George Rogers, Frank Smith, Robert Gregory Smith, Dennis Crouch and Simon Byshhe be formed to take the Village Centre issues forward.

It was noted that George Rogers had been asked to be a Governor of Ken Stimson school.

ANY OTHER REPORTS/ISSUES

1. Simon Byshhe had sent a paper ‘Towards an Ethical framework of Giving’ which outlined possible sources of income generation for Love Werrington and asked for the PCC’s view of the sources of income,
PCC did not agree with receiving income from Lottery funding or games of chance. They agreed to look at sponsorship on a case by case basis and competitions were also looked at in the same way. It was agreed the LW have a sub committee to review these and ask Standing Committee to approve or not any decisions that did not fit into the standard framework or might be contentious..

2. Michael Cooper was retiring from his role of leading Church music. It was agreed to pay an honorarium to two people who would be responsible for arranging church music at each building..

There being no further business, the meeting closed with the Grace at 9.50 pm.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday 8th March 2017 at 7.30pm in St Johns
Chair Dennis Crouch.
Prayers Phyll Adams

Dates of PCC meetings all at St Johns at 7.30pm

Wedsnesday 8th March 2017

Thursday 27th April 2017 AGM Emmanuel

Thursday 11th May 2017

Thursday 13th July 2017

Thursday 14th Sept 2017

Thursday 16th November 2017 ( change as Deanery Synod is in 9th Nov )

Wednesday 10th January 2018

Wednesday 14th March 2018

Thursday 26th April 2018 AGM Emmanuel

Powered by Wordpress using Woo Canvas theme