PCC Minutes – 19 July 2018

MINUTES OF THE WERRINGTON PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL
Held on Thursday 19th July 2018 at 7.30pm in St Johns Church

PRESENT
Rev Canon George Rogers, Frank Smith(prayers), Brian Hunt, Michael Horspole, Newton Kibiringi, Dennis Crouch (Chair), Lawrence Wright, Paul Cussell, Robert Gregory Smith, Helen Tabor, Mark Tabor, Sheila Breeze, Rev Sue Fear, Rev Kevin Fear and Holly Smith.

APOLOGIES

Sue Bennett, Sue Burgess, Richard Trounce and Jane Armstrong.

Frank Smith led the PCC in a time of prayer.

MINUTES
The Minutes of the meetings held on 7th June 2018 were agreed as a true and correct record.

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

A – Ratification of Assistant wardens and sidespeople were agreed from list produced by Parish Office
B – Ratification of list of committees from list produced by Parish Office. Agreed we ought to add Worship and RE committee if it was still operative.
C – Electricity and Gas contracts – the Parish Office would arrange these when they came up for renewal. Proposed by Revd Sue Fear and seconded by Robert Gregory Smith. All agreed.
D – Church Bells – Dennis had received 3 quotes for this from contractors who the architect had recommended. Standing Committee agreed we accept the slightly higher quote as it meant a scaffold bridge over the roof would be built to the bells. Kevin Fear would talk to Derek if there were any regulatory or safety issues arising from this work.
E – Staff Salary increases – ongoing matter
F – Disabled Car Parking Space at St Johns – council had proposed to remove one space and a letter of objection to this had been sent. No reply received yet.
G – Safeguarding – nothing to report this meeting

DEANERY MATTERS Frank Smith distributed a paper to the PCC showing Parish Share payments from all churches in the Deanery at 6 month into the current year. The Dioceses hoped payments could be made monthly to help their cash flow. The paper showed some churches were behind this schedule.

VILLAGE CENTRE

A lengthy discussion took place on this item.

1. PCC looked at the public accounts of the WCA for the last four years. They decided to ask the WCA for a copy of their business plan to help us see how they would be able to fulfil lease obligations in the future should one be granted to WCA by the church.

PCC members were reminded that any lease arrangement would need Charity Commission approval and the PCC as trustees had to be seen in acting correctly in any lease agreement and obtaining a realistic rent in keeping with the valuation of the property.

2. Whatever the outcome of point 1. PCC wanted the Village Centre to still be available for church and community use. Therefore existing users and those wishing to hire the facility would still be able to do so after February 2019 when the city council lease with the church ends.

3. PCC agreed to work on a heads of terms lease with the Scouts and Guides group.

4. PCC agreed to conduct a condition survey of the Educational Centre and Scouts and Guides building

5. To meet Bill Tilla from the city council to agree how we progress the completion of repairs needed for the Village Centre under the terms of the lease and within the budget identified by the council. A suggestion was made that we might act as Clerk of works for tenders and when work is complete submit invoices to the council.

6. At the meeting with Bill Tilla the issue of the use of the council owned Village centre car park for users needs to be finally agreed.

7. PCC agreed the Standing Committee would meet in late August to review progress and make any necessary decisions

FINANCE REPORT
Michael Horspole reported that Stewardship information had gone out and responses were expected by this Sunday.
There were two grants that Love Werrington hoped to apply for. They were for work in the community and from secular groups but if successful would help support the general work Love Werrington was doing in the community.

MINISTERS REPORT
Revd George Rogers

1. He had received a letter from William Law thanking Mission Committee for paying for pupils bibles.

2. Wanted a special Remembrance Day service this year as it was 100 years since World War 1 finished.

3. Author of Holy Habits Andrew Roberts would be coming to Emmanuel on 3rd October to do a training day.

4. The Autumn morning service sermon series would be on 2 Timothy.

Newton Kibiringi

1. Had finished his course with Cliff College.

2. Loud and Megaloud would be finishing shortly for the Summer.

3. Soul Survivor in August – there would be 28 people going from Church.

Revd Sue Fear
1. Very positive response and links with people at the Carnival.
2. Flower Festival in St Johns was very well received and supported.

Rev Kevin Fear
1. Not on preaching rota yet but hoping to work among the congregation supporting people at work.

CHURCH WARDENS REPORT
Dennis reported
1. Ongoing work with Church bell and written paper submitted to meeting on the work. Lawrence Wright arranging a St Johns Church Clean on Saturday 6th October.

Mark Tabor reported on ongoing work at Emmanuel
Robert Gregory Smith asked if we could have Health and Safety on the next PCC Agenda

There being no further business, the meeting closed with the Grace at 10.00 pm.
Date of next meeting: Thursday 13th September 2018 at 7.30pm at St Johns
Chair – Revd Sue Fear

Powered by Wordpress using Woo Canvas theme